Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Real Vintage Kitchen Barn Find!

It started out as a normal non-vintage craigslist search for a cheap jewelry cabinet. The jewelry cabinet I had was no longer functional and was overflowing. After weeks of searching, I located one and contacted the seller. After a few emails I was on my way to get my $20 very large jewelry cabinet. I was super excited to find such a great deal.

The sellers house was only about 10 miles from me but was in the sticks. The seller had the doors open to the barn/garage structure when I arrived. I looked over the jewelry cabinet and handed over the $20. That is when this story comes to a screeching stop!

The place was packed. Being the wise picker I am, I asked the seller if she had anything else available for sale. She said take a look around. Ding ding ding! You don't have to tell me twice. I looked around and there in the back, covered in dust, was a double drainboard porcelain enameled sink with original cabinet. The sink was in great condition other than some over spray of paint from someone's garage project. I knew it would clean up. The cabinet however was falling apart and had some major issues. I didn't even know if it was complete. I ask the seller if she would be willing to sell the sink and cabinet. She said yes but she needed to check with the original owner of the property because some of the things stored in the barn were theirs.

Fast forward to 1 long week later. I finally got the call that is was available. However, the owner wanted $250! Which to be honest, the sink is worth that and then some. But I'm cheap what can I say. I offered a very low $40. Don't judge me lol! My low offer paid off and the seller came down to $100. Which I then offered $75. The seller accepted and I quickly loaded up the sink and steel cabinet into the back of my truck.

When you see what I am dealing with you will understand my low offer in the beginning of the deal. Take a look at this mess.

The first thing I wanted to do was get the sink cleaned up. I spent about 3 hours cleaning and removing the drain and faucet hardware. I did this first because I wanted to make sure the porcelain was not rusted through where the fixtures were attached. After the labor intensive process of removing the 65+ year old faucet and drain I discovered a near mint sink! Amazing! I don't know if the faucet is worth saving or not but that project is for different day.

The next thing was to see if all the cabinet hardware was there including some drawer pulls that had fallen off into the cabinet, the drawer rails, and drawer fronts. There was no need to continue to try and save the sink base if all the parts were not there. Good News is it is complete! Now for the hard part. Restoring the darn thing. Here are my options/ideas I have floating around in my head. A: restore and keep because it would make an amazing island (I already have complete set of aqua Geneva steel cabinets in storage for a future kitchen remodel) or B: restore and create an island and sell it for a profit and I get a free sink. Decisions, decisions... What would you do? Either way I have a huge project on my hands. Final outcome To Be Continued....this project is going to take several weeks.

Here is a close up of the cabinet and as you can see it was sold by Montgomery Wards and from my research it is late 40s early 50s! Wish me luck :)

 

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! You should rebuild a new bottom with barn wood and then pop that sucker in a bathroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. But I have a tiny 1920s house with a tiny bathroom. But hope to upgrade to something bigger soon:)))

      Delete
  2. Wow! What an awesome find but you definitely have your work cut out for you, don't you? But so worth it. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Projects always seem like less work than they are lol. I hope I can get it looking good enough to make it worth it.

      Delete
  3. Great find! With my back problems, I wouldn't have even brought it home but I suggest you just let it sit till you have a light bulb moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your wait and see method but I'm so impatient lol

      Delete